Sunday, August 21, 2011

We Shall Meet in the Place Where There is No Darkness

Sunday is a day for reading, writing, crossword puzzles, coffee, and afternoon naps.  Today's reading project is a reread: George Orwell's 1984. 



It has been at least 11 or so years since I have read this book. A staple of high school reading lists,  1984 was named one of the 100 best English language books of the 20th century. It is a book I remember enjoying, but I couldn't remember exactly why.  Solution? Reread the book (as if you have to twist my arm to get me to reread books).

I'm not very far into my reread, only 30 pages or so. But I've already been sucked back into this intriguing and uncomfortable world. Surrounded by the ideas of newspeak, doublethink, Thought Police, "child heroes," and the Ministry of Peace, I find that I remember what it was like to read this dystopian novel for the first time. I find as a read that I must always ask myself, What if I lived in the world of this book? This is one of the more intriguing worlds to try to inhabit in literature (for me, at least).  And even though I know exactly how this book ends (spoiler alert: He loves Big Brother), this is a book I think I will reread again and again.

On an unrelated, but equally amazing note, TCM's Summer Under the Stars features a different star every day in August. Today is Cary Grant and The Philadelphia Story and North by Northwest come on today. I think you know where you can find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...